Runescape is an extremely popular MMORPG which has gone from strength to strength for over two decades, serving new and old players alike and continuing to provide fresh content to this day. Working as a part of Jagex provided a keen insight into how a huge team and a huge project has to run. Working in collaboration with people from many different backgrounds was a must, from artists and project managers to QA and even the community themselves. During my time at Jagex I was tasked with porting the long established MMORPG RuneScape to Android and iOS. Due to the age of the game and the vast amount of content within, this was a huge challenge! My hard work and diligence soon paid off however, and I was granted the position of team lead to ensure the project would be realised to its utmost potential. The mobile version of RuneScape classic was very well received by the playerbase and continues to provide an on-the-go alternative to long time fans of the game.
Here is a list of some of the work we have done:
- Converting the existing desktop focused system to support small screens with intuitive designs
- Ensuring all content is functional, compliant and accessible
- Building brand new systems to replace legacy code that was not platform independent
- Championing deprecating legacy systems
- Implementing numerous performance improvements that benefit both desktop and mobile
- Communicating with the players during the open beta, taking feedback, and resolving any critical issues
Ready for your next project?